warning adj : serving to warn; "shook a monitory finger at him"; "an exemplary jail sentence" [syn: admonitory, cautionary, exemplary, monitory, warning(a)]
1 a message informing of danger
2 cautionary advice about something imminent (especially imminent danger) [syn: admonition, monition, word of advice]
- Rhymes: -ɔː(r)nɪŋ
- The action of the verb to warn; an instance of warning someone.
- Something spoken or written that is intended to warn.
- The boss gave him a warning that he would be fired if he did not desist from his behaviour.
instance of warning someone
something spoken or written that is intended to warn
- Used to warn of danger in signs and notices.
warning of danger in signs
The word warning may refer to:
- Warning (band), a UK based doom metal band.
- The Warning (Queensrÿche album), a 1984 album by Queensrÿche
- Warning (Green Day song), a 2000 song by Green Day on their album of the same name, Warning
- The Warning, a 2006 album by Hot Chip
- Warning (Black Sabbath song), a 1970 cover of a song by the Aynsley Dunbar Retaliation by Black Sabbath on their album Black Sabbath
- Warning (Notorious B.I.G. song), a 1994 song by The Notorious B.I.G. on his album Ready to Die
- Warning (Incubus song)," a 2001 song by Incubus on their album Morning View''
- The Warning, a Nine Inch Nails song on their 2007 album, Year Zero.
- Mount Warning, New South Wales, Australia
warning in German: Warning
warning in French: Warning
warning in Latvian: Brīdinājums
warning in Japanese: ウォーニング
warning in Russian: Предупреждение
admonishing, admonition, admonitory, advice, advising, advisory, advocacy, alerting, augural, blackmail, briefing, bulldozing, call, call for, caution, cautionary, cautioning, caveat, claim, clue, commination, consultation, consultative, consultatory, contribution, council, counsel, cue, demand, demand for, denunciation, determent, deterrence, deterrent, didactic, direction, directive, draft, drain, duty, empty threat, exaction, exemplary, exhortation, exhortative, exhortatory, expostulation, expostulative, expostulatory, extortion, extortionate demand, foreboding, forerunning, foreshadowing, foreshowing, foretokening, forewarning, frightening off, guidance, heavy demand, heavy with meaning, hint, hortation, hortative, hortatory, idea, idle threat, imminence, implied threat, imposition, impost, indent, indicative, insistent demand, instruction, instructive, intimidation, intuitive, levy, meaningful, menace, monition, monitorial, monitory, moralistic, nonnegotiable demand, notice, notificational, notifying, office, opinion, order, parley, passing word, pointer, preachy, precursive, precursory, predictive, prefigurative, preindicative, premonitory, presageful, presaging, prognostic, prognosticative, promise of harm, proposal, recommendation, recommendatory, remonstrance, remonstrant, remonstrative, remonstratory, requirement, requisition, rush, rush order, sententious, significant, steer, suggestion, sword of Damocles, talking out of, tax, taxing, thought, threat, threateningness, threatfulness, tip, tip-off, tribute, ultimatum, whisper